01204 36 50 80 weekdays 9am - 5pm
Get a Quote Renew an existing policy

Tree damage: Does insurance cover a fallen tree?

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Following the recent powerful winds sweeping through the country, we have had a number of enquiries from customers who are unsure as to what their home insurance for second homes does and does not cover in relation to fallen trees.

As the great storm of 1987 demonstrated, falling trees can cause widespread disruption and damage.

Fallen trees are a bit of an insurance grey area, but generally speaking insurers will deal with a claim as follows.

A tree has fallen in my garden – will my insurance pay for damage and for it to be removed?
Typically, with an insurance policy, you may find that a policy covers only the damage caused by trees, and not the trees themselves. This is because trees are not ‘part of the buildings’ in the terms of the policy. This means that simply removing a fallen tree is not covered.

However, damage caused to the buildings by falling trees is covered and often the removal of the tree if it’s required to carry out repairs to the building. But pay particular attention to the ‘storm’ section in your insurance policy as there are usually exclusions for storm damage (by falling trees) to gates and fences etc.

What about those with property insurance abroad?
This depends on the insurer and country. For example, in France, insurance companies each have their own definition of what they consider to be a storm, based on wind speed readings taken at a nearby weather station. So, damage caused by falling trees that have toppled due to high winds may not be considered storm damage if the recorded winds weren’t strong enough. Therefore, damage wouldn’t be covered.

I cut back a tree in my garden and have caused some damage to my property – am I covered?
Most insurance policies exclude loss or damage caused by trees being cut down or cut back within the premises. Ideally you should employ a qualified tree surgeon who has their own insurance that covers damage.

A tree has fallen from my neighbour’s garden in to mine. Who pays for the damage and removal of the tree?
If a tree from your neighbour’s garden falls in yours (or vice versa), causing damage to fences, again, it is unlikely you can claim on your neighbour’s insurance. Your neighbours policy covers their property not yours. You may, however, be able to claim for damages against you if you can prove a case of negligence.

Otherwise, it may typically be your responsibility to remove or chop up the tree for firewood and repair any damage – though one would hope that your neighbour would offer to help with costs.

How insurers deal with fallen trees varies from policy to policy. If you have trees that could potentially cause damage you should get clarification from your insurer on what’s covered.


  • Steve |

    Are there any additional insurance considerations where trees are on public highways or ‘common land’ and border the holiday home? Can separate insurance be taken out where the land ownership is unclear?

    • Philip |

      Thanks for commenting Steve. Generally speaking the insured would submit a claim on their own insurance if there was damage to buildings and the insurer would attempt to recover damages from the third party.

  • James Miller |

    A tree growing in my garden is blown over by high winds/storm winds and damages a neighbour’s house. The neighbour presumably claims on his own house insurance. But can his insurance company hold me liable and proceed against me for recovery of damages or is the event considered an ‘act of God’.

    • Philip |

      If the tree has been blown over due to your negligence (e.g. poor maintenance) then you may be deemed liable and claim on your buildings insurance. If you are not liable then the neighbour would have to claim on their insurance for storm damage.

  • George |

    We have a 50 foot plus tall popular tree in the back garden, it is 20ft 4ins from the back wall of our bungalow. The tree has a TPO on it, the tree is not in good condition, two very large branches (one approx 25ft long) have already broken off in high winds, that one landed on the public footpath, the local council won’t remove the TPO so we can take the tree down, an insurance broker has spent a day and a half tying to get us buildings insurance, not one insurance company will give us buildings insurance because of the tree, we are unable to insure our bungalow. If anyone cares to go to the government website they will see that we and NOT the council are liable for any damage the tree does, can even be sued for death and/or injury to the public.

    The world gone mad!!!.

Write a Comment



See how much you could save!

Click here to start your quote