Start a Quote Renew an existing policy

Sorry! We're currently no longer able to provide quotations to insure holiday homes in Portugal.

Owning a holiday home in the sunny Algarve, the garden island of Madeira or the beautiful mainland should be a joy that you'll want to share with friends, and maybe even let out as a holiday rental. Unfortunately owning a holiday home in Portugal is never worry-free, but there are a few steps you need to take to ensure you minimise that worry, and the most important is to insure it comprehensively.

Insurance is a complicated purchase in a foreign country, particularly for a holiday home, but it's an area where you can't afford to take risks. You need cover that tells you exactly what you're covered for, and what the exclusions are. Cover that's both comprehensive and straightforward. In Portugal you need to be particularly mindful of restrictions on earthquake damage - many insurers charge an excess that's a percentage of your claim, and that may be thousands!

Schofields are specialist holiday home insurers. We offer straightforward comprehensive insurance for holiday homes in Portugal, and just as important - we apply minimal restrictions. Our policies are written in plain English. You don't need to worry about unfamiliar insurance exclusions, language barriers or other complications. And should you need to claim, you'll speak to our experts - not a faceless call centre.

You are covered regardless of whether your holiday home is used by yourself, let to friends & family or rented as a commercial holiday let. You're even covered if you can't get there very often - that's something you need to be sure of!

What makes our holiday home insurance different

Comprehensive cover from Schofields is what it says - it's comprehensive. If you're checking policies make sure your cover will include these vital areas:

  • NO restrictions between occupancy We don't impose occupancy restrictions, so if you can't get there every month you're still covered.
  • Flexible cover You are covered regardless of whether your holiday home is used by yourself, let to friends & family or rented as a commercial holiday let.
  • NO excessive security requirements We don't demand that you use sophisticated and expensive security measures (unless the contents sum insured exceeds £40,000).
  • FULL theft insurance Including theft by non-forced entry and by guests. This is vital with a holiday home in Portugal that's both let and left unoccupied.
  • Weather damage We think of Portugal as hot and sunny, but we also protect you when the weather is stormy. We understand that you probably live a long way away, and so we don't insist that you claim for weather damage within a tight timeframe of the loss.
  • Swimming pool included Your pool is covered by our buildings insurance, which includes important public liability insurance, at no extra cost.
  • Public liability cover of up to £5m This gives you protection in case someone claims against you if they have an accident at your holiday home.
  • Employer's liability cover up to £1m Like public liability this gives protection should someone who is working for you have an accident and makes a claim.
  • Loss of rental income If you have to cancel bookings - the policy covers the loss of pre-booked rentals due to an insured peril.
  • Alternative accommodation cover If you need alternative accommodation, for you and your family, or paying guests who are in the property at the time of a claim, you'll be covered.
  • Travel and accommodation costs If you need to fly out to your holiday home in Portugal to assess a situation and minimise a claim your costs will be covered.
  • Optional accidental damage to contents cover This offers optional additional protection against damage at your holiday home, even by holiday makers.
  • Low excess charges Even our excess charges are competitive. We charge just £50 on a standard claim, £250 for water or weight of snow damage and for earthquake damage the excess is £300. This is often a percentage of the total claim, which could amount to thousands.
  • Straightforward English policy That means you don't have to worry about complicated form filling in Portuguese or translating policy documents.
  • We are here to help If you need to speak to someone just give us a call, you'll speak to one of our experts whether it's before you buy, or if you need to claim.
  • Long established Schofields have been providing insurance for holiday homes in Portugal since 1984, and our policies are arranged through certain Underwriters at Lloyds of London.

See how much you could save!

Click here to start your quote

Comparison checklist

It's important that you compare insurance and shop around. We already have and we know that cover like ours is hard to come by, especially at our excellent rates. Here are some tips on what to check when you're comparing Schofields with other policies.

Other types of holiday home insurance cover

5 starsIndependant 5 out of 5 Service Rating1722 reviewsFeefo Stuck? Confused? Looking for Help? View our FAQ section, packed with tips and help