Start a Quote Renew an existing policy

Sorry! We're currently no longer able to provide quotations to insure holiday homes in Italy.

Italy! The romance, the history, the food, the glamour. Who could fail to fall in love with the country? And a holiday home in Italy can seem like your own private piece of heaven - just make sure you have insured it well and you should have few worries.

Buying insurance isn't exciting. But buying the wrong insurance can leave you with sleepless nights, and that's not what your holiday home should be about.

We're a family business that has been providing excellent specialist holiday home insurance since 1984. We have built our business on providing comprehensive cover, backed by friendly service from our own experts here in the UK. Everything is in English, and we have no faceless call centres, just our own people.

We seek out the areas that other insurers cut back on - and then seek to offer the best cover, with minimal exclusions, at a competitive price.

Our Italian holiday home cover offers you the protection you need whether you rent your home to holiday makers, whether you lend it to friends and family, or whether you just use it yourselves. It has minimal exclusions, and most important - we don't demand that you're there every month.

What makes our holiday home insurance different

Our comprehensive cover does just what it says: compare these features:

  • NO restrictions between occupancy we don't impose occupancy restrictions, we know it's not realistic to be there every 30 days as so many policies demand.
  • Flexible cover You are covered regardless of whether your holiday home is used by yourself, let to friends & family or rented as a commercial holiday let.
  • NO excessive security requirements your security measures are your choice, we don't ask you to fit a sophisticated alarm system, or special locks, unless your contents sum insured exceeds £40,000.
  • FULL theft insurance if something is stolen you are covered, you don't need to prove forced entry.
  • Weather damage if the weather does its worst you'll be glad you're with us. We don't expect you to be able to report damage within 5 days either but many policies will expect you to.
  • Swimming pool included if you have a pool then it is covered by your buildings insurance, that also includes important public liability insurance, at no extra cost.
  • Public liability cover of up to £5m protection in case someone claims against you if they have an accident at your home, whether they are friends or paying guests.
  • Employer's liability cover up to £1m this gives you protection in case anyone who is working for you, such as a gardener or cleaner, has an accident and claims against you.
  • Loss of rental income If you have to cancel bookings - the policy covers the loss of pre-booked rentals due to an insured peril.
  • Alternative accommodation cover even if you need alternative accommodation, for you and your family, or paying guests who are in the property at the time of a claim, the costs will be covered.
  • Travel and accommodation costs if you need to get to your Italian Holiday Home following an incident to minimise a claim your costs will be covered.
  • Optional accidental damage to contents cover - this offers optional additional protection against damage at your holiday home whether it's caused by you, your friends, or paying guests.
  • Low excess charges our excess charges are competitive too. We charge just £50 on a standard claim, £250 for water or weight of snow damage and £300 excess for earthquake damage.

See how much you could save!

Click here to start your quote

Check out the competition: We'd like you to compare us against the competition. We have already! We are confident that cover like ours is hard to come by, especially at our excellent rates.

When you compare Schofields with other policies look out for:

  • Escape of water. This is usually excluded when a holiday home is unoccupied.
  • Theft. There are often strict security requirements when your property is unoccupied and theft when rented out is likely to be excluded.
  • Be sure that you are covered for using the holiday home for lettings if you intend to do so.
  • Check any accidental damage to contents restrictions - especially if it's a holiday let.
  • Check your public liability cover - as it tends to be a very low level of indemnity.

Everything from Schofields is in English: everything is written in straightforward English. That means you don't have to worry about complicated form filling in Italian, or relying on translations.

An expert on the phone: We don't have faceless call centres, just our own team of experts who you can talk to before you buy. They are there to help if you have to make a claim too.

Long established: Schofields is a family firm that has provided specialist insurance for Italian holiday homes since 1984, all of our policies are arranged through certain underwriters at Lloyds of London.

Buildings insurance for your holiday home in Italy - what does it cover?

Fixtures and fittings attached to the Holiday Home, domestic outbuildings, garages, domestic fixed fuel oil tanks, swimming pools, tennis courts, drives, patios and terraces, walls, gates and fences.

Tailored holiday home insurance - covers loss and damage caused by:

  • Fire, lightning, or explosion.
  • Damage from storm, flood or weight of snow.
  • Escape of water from fixed water tanks, apparatus or pipes.
  • Escape or theft of oil from a fixed domestic oil-fired heating installation.
  • Theft or attempted theft including theft by guests, even when entry is not forced.
  • Impact by aircraft, vehicles or animals.
  • Damage caused during violent disorder including riots, strikes, civil commotion or acting maliciously.
  • Damage from falling trees, lamp posts or telegraph poles.
  • The cost of repairing accidental breakage to fixed glass and double glazing, solar panels, sanitary ware, or ceramic hobs.
  • The cost of repairing accidental damage to domestic fuel oil pipes and underground utilities such as water-supply pipes, sewers, drains and septic tanks, gas pipes or cables.
  • Accidental damage to audio and visual equipment within the holiday home.
  • Contents in the open such as garden furniture.
  • Costs you have to pay for replacing locks following theft of your keys.
  • Your contents will be covered on a new for old basis.

Earthquake - Due to earthquake activity in Italy we may or may not be able to provide earthquake cover. Your application will be risk assessed upon submission.

Experienced claims support

There's no need to worry about how we deal with claims when your home is hundreds of miles away. We have an International team of loss adjustors to deal with claims.

Useful Insurance Information

Other types of holiday home insurance cover

See how much you could save!

Click here to start your quote
5 starsIndependant 5 out of 5 Service Rating1722 reviewsFeefo Stuck? Confused? Looking for Help? View our FAQ section, packed with tips and help