Holiday Home Insurance in Portugal - comprehensive cover when unoccupied or let
Holiday Home Insurance Portugal
As your property in Portugal is hundreds of miles away it is essential that it's protected with comprehensive house insurance in Portugal - regardless of whether it's occupied, unoccupied or holiday let. Theft, flash flooding, forest fires and earthquakes are common perils that could turn your dream holiday home into a nightmare.
Many holiday home owners in Portugal choose a local policy, often influenced by price. However, it's false economy to choose the cheapest policy at the expense of the cover you need. Foreign language problems, unfamiliar insurance regulations and claims procedures can further complicate matters.
Why should you worry about a potential theft or water damage claim being invalid because you have left your property unoccupied and failed to comply with the strict policy requirements? Or that guests might cause damage or injure themselves - and you won't be covered.
You don't have to because Schofields provide comprehensive holiday home insurance in Portugal that's tailored to the special requirements of holiday home owners. The insurance does not restrict cover when your property is left unoccupied and includes essential cover for holiday letting.
Please note that an insurance policy provides cover for a list of specified perils, the policy does not provide unlimited cover for every eventuality or maintenance related issues.
Why choose us?
Holiday home insurance summary of cover
Schofields insurance for a house in Portugal includes the following benefits when you choose buildings or contents insurance.
- Full cover between occupancy.
Certain restrictions do apply when the property is not furnished for normal habitation. We cannot insure properties that are left permanently unoccupied (e.g. awaiting sale or being renovated).
- No security or inspection requirements. The policy does not require frequent inspections or insist on specific security e.g. window grilles (unless the contents sum insured exceeds £40,000).
- Full theft Insurance. The policy covers theft by tenants and non-forced entry.
- Public liability Insurance. An indemnity limit of £5m is automatically included which indemnifies both the property owner and the tenant when legally liable. With today's ever increasing recourse to sue, this essential cover will protect you against legal costs and expenses for injury to third parties (for example slip, trip and fall claims) or damage to property - even when holiday let.
- Employers liability Insurance. £1m is automatically included. This protects you against legal action from injured domestic employees, such as change over staff.
- Accidental damage to contents. For an additional premium, the cover can be extended to include claims arising from accidental damage to contents, such as stains or damage to furniture. This also covers accidental damage caused by holidaymakers.
- Cover for loss of pre-booked rental income. You are automatically covered for twice the contents sum insured if contents insurance is included.
- Alternative accommodation costs. For you, your family or rental clients following loss or damage to the property.
- Travel and accommodation costs incurred to minimise a claim.
- Insurance cover for swimming pools. The policy includes insurance for swimming pools under the buildings section and public liability for the use of the pool.
- Written in plain English. Policy wording is clear and unambiguous, so you know exactly what is covered.
- Excess. A standard £50 excess increased to £250 for water damage and weight of snow claims & £300 for earthquake damage. Note: check other insurers earthquake excess, traditionally they are a percentage of the sum insured - totalling thousands.
- Schofields have specialised in holiday home insurance in Portugal since 1984 and claims are dealt with by qualified insurance experts.
- Arranged with certain Underwriters at Lloyd's of London, one of the world's leading insurers - exclusively for Schofields.
Our Portuguese property insurance covers loss and damage caused by:
- Fire and explosion
- Theft or attempted theft, including theft by tenants
- Storm or tempest (excluding damage to gates or fences)
- Lightning, thunderbolt or earthquake
- Escape of water or oil leakage from fixed water tanks, apparatus or pipes
- Civil disturbance or vandalism
- Impact by aircraft, vehicles or animals
Buildings Insurance for a home in Portugal covers
What are buildings? fixtures and fittings within the buildings, domestic outbuildings, garages, domestic fixed fuel oil, tanks, swimming pools, tennis courts, drives, patios and terraces, walls, gates and fences.
- Damage caused by falling aerials and satellite dishes
- Breakage of fixed glass and breakage of sanitary fixtures and ceramic hobs
- Accidental damage by external means to underground services
Contents Insurance for a home in Portugal covers
Covered on a 'new for old' basis
- Property in the open
- Accidental damage to televisions including video recorders
- Breakage of ceramic hobs, mirrors and fixed glass in furniture
- Fatal injury caused by fire or burglars
- Replacement of locks following theft or loss of keys