Designed for cottage holidays, hotel bookings and short breaks in the UK
It's always disappointing when you have to cancel a holiday, but sometimes it's unavoidable and out of your hands. It could be that you, a close relative or those travelling with you get ill, injured or sadly, die. In the event of the unexpected happening, it makes sense to protect the money you've paid for your accommodation.
A holiday booking is a legally binding contract and no matter the circumstances you could be left liable for the full cost of the holiday if unforeseen circumstances force you to cancel.
These expenses can be significant. Staying in hotels and cottages in the UK can be just as pricey as going abroad.
With such steep costs, it's a huge risk not taking out holiday cancellation insurance. The chances are, any cancellations would result in you losing some, if not all of your money. However, investing in holiday cancellation insurance means you could avoid expensive cancellation charges, lost deposits and holiday accommodation costs.
Our holiday insurance covers UK travellers hiring a cottage, canal boat, caravan/lodge holidays or hotel/B&B/guesthouse bookings. Should you have to cancel or cut short your holiday for specific unforeseen, covered reasons our policy will cover your accommodation costs.
Get a Quote and Buy Online
Do you need travel insurance for UK holidays?
Travellers assume that insurance is an unnecessary expense for a holiday in the UK. However, holidaymakers are equally exposed to accidents and illness regardless of their destination. Cancellation and curtailment are the most common claims made on domestic holidays so it's wise to make sure your UK break is protected.
Of course, you won't need medical cover because you have access to NHS treatment. Also, home insurance typically covers money, baggage and personal effects if lost, damaged or stolen whilst away from home. (Check if you already have this cover with another type of policy).
Although other key factors of travel insurance cover aren't always necessary for breaks in the UK, it is beneficial to take out cancellation cover as it is common practice for holiday operators to charge for cancelled or abandoned holidays.
What does holiday cancellation insurance cover?
Our holiday cancellation insurance provides cover should you or any members of your holiday party cancel or cut short your holiday due to accidents, death, illness, jury service, redundancy or if your home becomes uninhabitable. You are even covered if a close business colleague or relative who is not on your holiday falls ill.
Want to know more? View the frequently asked questions or view the policy wording below.
This is a brief summary of cover. For more information on the terms, conditions and exclusions that apply, view the full policy wording below.
- What are the Principal Exclusions?
These are just some of the key exclusions, full details can be found in the policy wording.
- This insurance excludes claims arising from pre-existing medical conditions and the cover can't be extended to cover pre-existing medical conditions.
- The Underwriters will not be liable for any claim involving a person aged 81 or above.
- This policy does not cover cancellation due to a job change or relationship breakdown.
- This insurance policy may only be purchased within 2 weeks of booking the holiday. However, if the holiday was booked more than 2 weeks ago you can still take out a policy as long as the start date of the holiday is more than 1 month away. To clarify, if you have booked a holiday more than 14 days ago and the holiday commences within 30 days, we can't provide cover.
- This insurance policy is only available to residents of the UK and only covers holidays in the United Kingdom/Channel Islands/N.Ireland/Isle of Man.
- Would I be covered if the weather is bad and I have to cancel the holiday?
The policy does not cover cancellation due to adverse weather conditions.
- I am hiring a cottage for a week. The owner is requesting that we have liability insurance and cover for any breakages or accidental damage.
Our policy covers holiday cancellation and curtailment only.
Ideally, the accommodation owner should have holiday letting insurance that includes public liability insurance and cover for damage by guests/pets. It's their responsibility to ensure they have adequate insurance to cover their property and the associated risks when holiday letting. You could also check if your household insurance provides any such cover.
- The proposal form asks age(s). Is it the age on completion of the form or age when travelling?
Please enter the age when the insurance is taken out. Note the 81 age limit applies when a claim is made. Please take this into consideration if someone who is travelling with you or if a family member will become 81 after the insurance is taken out.
- We require insurance for 2 separate holidays, do you offer an annual policy?
We only offer a single trip policy to cover each booking. You would have to take out a separate policy to cover each individual booking.
- What is the policy excess?
The first £25 will be deducted from all claims. The excess is per cancelled/curtailed booking, not per person.
- What happens if the pet that I'm taking on holiday with me is ill and I can't go?
This policy does not cover pets. Some pet insurance policies provide this type of cover, we suggest you contact your pet insurance provider for clarification.
- Who are the insurers?
Our UK holiday cancellation and curtailment insurance is Underwritten on behalf of certain Underwriters at Lloyd's.
- What do I do if I want to cancel the policy after I have paid?
If the insurance does not meet your requirements please return it within 14 days of issue but before the departure date. Provided no claims have been made your premium will be refunded.
- Would I be covered if the accommodation I have paid for goes out of business or if the owner will not refund my money?
This would not be covered by the insurance. Paying by credit card may protect your payment.
- Am I covered for extras such as meals, activities, courses, trains, flights, ferries etc.?
The policy only covers accommodation costs.
- What is the claims procedure?
You must give written notice to Schofields Underwriting Agencies, as soon as is practicable but within 30 days FIRST, either by telephone on 01204 365080 (between 10 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday) give brief details of your claim and ask for a claim form OR write to Schofields Underwriting Agencies, Holiday Homes Division, Trinity House, 7 Institute Street, Bolton, BL1 1PZ.
Have your policy number (SUA/) to hand.
Fill in the claim form and return it with all the certificates, accounts, receipts, information and evidence required by the Underwriters. Always send originals and not photocopies. Please do not send any documents until you send in your completed claim form.
- How do I use the online quotes?
To start your quote, simply choose the number of days you require insurance for and the sum insured. If you require additional cancellation cover on top of the standard £1,000 sum insured, select your choice from the drop-down list. (e.g. if your holiday costs £1440, choose £1500.) To proceed with the insurance simply complete the online proposal form giving all the required information and pay online.
Once we have processed your proposal form and confirmed payment, you will be issued with a certificate of insurance via e-mail.
You can pay by cheque if you would prefer, simply select this option, print off your proposal form and post it with a cheque as instructed.
The premium quoted covers everybody in the holiday party.
How much does holiday cancellation insurance cost?
At Schofields you can insure your UK holiday from as little as £20 for £1000 of cover, with an option to increase up to the value of £3000. We think that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.
(option to insure up to the value of £3,000)
|Excess (each claim)|
|Cancellation||up to £1,000||£25|
|Curtailment||up to £1,000||£25|
|Duration||Premium (including ipt)|
this covers everybody in the holiday party.
|Up to 8 days||£20|
|Up to 15 days||£25|
|Up to 22 days||£35|
Protect your holiday as soon as you book. Click here for an instant UK holiday insurance quote and cover.